A Random Bounty Hunter Appears
If you ever need a greek-ish bounty hunter, I hope this resource can be useful:
First, roll a d12 for its name:
Then, roll a d6:
- 1 - 2: It's a fighter.
- 3 - 4: It's a thief.
- 5: A cleric
- 6: A wizard
The bounty hunter is usually the same HD as the player's level, only add d3-d3 HD. Minimum 1 HD.
How does the bounty hunter gather information? Aside from the regular tricks, the bounty hunter has this style (roll d12):
- Investigation and interrogation.
- Hires other Bounty Hunters, pays them 10% of the reward.
- Tracks the PCs using scent and trail signs.
- Harassment and intimidation.
- Employs informants and spies to keep track of most vagrants.
- Pays merchants and traders for leads.
- Is a trained animal that can follow the scent of anything the PCs have touched. Usually escorted by faithful humanoid servant.
- Hangs around in a nearby tavern until the PCs are spotted.
- Uses a tarot deck to divine the whereabouts of the PCs.
- Engages with local priests and pious folk.
- Uses a special spell to detect a PC magic users' spell signature. Can sense this magic user within 600 feet.
- Uses a divination spell that highlights the footprints of the PCs that are less than 2 days old.
If asked to bring the PCs back alive, how does the bounty hunter do it? Roll d12:
- Will attempt to single out each PC and capture them when vulnerable.
- Manacles and batons.
- Pit or net traps.
- Hostages or asset capture.
- Ingested sleeping poison.
- Steals the PCs stuff until they're vulnerable.
- Will attempt to hire the PCs to go where he/she wants them.
- Hires local muscle, will attempt to beat PCs into submission.
- Will use deception to lead the PCs into captivity.
- Bestows a curse that attracts angry ghosts. Will retract the curse if the PCs surrender willingly.
- Liberal use of Sleep spell.
- Visits the PCs dreams with the appearance of their victims, demanding justice.
If wanted dead, how does the bounty hunter attempt to kill the PCs? Roll d12:
- As with capture tactic, but with lethal force.
- Ambush with crossbows.
- Bear or gallows traps.
- Deadly ingested poisons.
- Slips snakes into their camp / bedrooms.
- Pays local thugs to ambush the PCs.
- Poison darts. Will throw at a single PC and flee.
- Sets an ambush point with tumbling rocks, logs or wildfire.
- Raises a fallen innocent that the PCs have murdered and bestows it the powers of a revenant.
- Liberal use of Sleep spell followed by stabbing.
- Use illusions to make the PCs kill each other, accidentally or otherwise.